Wednesday 3 February 2016

Platform Games Evaluation P2: 3D Creative Problems

I sketched what my model would look like before I made it, to get a better idea of how it would look when I actually made it. I needed to research how to stop the clay from drying and what techniques I needed to use when handling clay. We made two models one using terracotta and latex and one using air drying clay and acrylic paint. For the one with terracotta clay we sculpted them applying slip periodically to stop it from drying and after they were finished we covered them in liquid latex, applying a new layer every ten minutes, however there wasn't enough on them so are tutors had to douse them in it, mine didn't survive. After the others dried however, they made a plastic liquid to pour into the mould to make the figure, they needed to keep tapping it in order to keep the air bubbles out then after a few hour they were dry and the figure were ready. The air drying clay was much easier to use in my opinion, the clay was much easier to mould and you don't need to put it in latex to keep it from crumbling. The only bad thing about it is that it dries out very quickly so you have to keep putting water on it so it can be a pain, however once it's dried painting it is really easy. I definitely prefer the air drying clay it's easier to use and easier to apply colour. The processes I used to make the models were, casting, modelling, observational drawings and painting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment